Taken from a painting of Kapiti Island at Sunset.
by Sonia Savage.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

One Word for 2013

I was reminded by a post on a blog I read to set a word for 2013.  Many people set a word rather than a resolution or goals for the year.  A word is easy to remember, and it actually can encompass a wide range in your life.

My word for 2013 is:



And a quote from R Brault:

"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realise they were the big things."

So here is to appreciating everything in my life, rather than passing by without noticing, or reading hastily without taking the time to appreciate the time it has taken this author to write this book.  While I greedily assimilate another book an author may be struggling to make ends meet. I only thought about this when I read a post by an author I read, she has many successful books but she is finding it hard. I guess authors make very little from every book read. Its all the other people involved that make money perhaps.

To appreciate what I have especially the little things. I know I do appreciate many little things and savour them, especially what children sometimes say. However in 2013 I seek to appreciate it all more deeply and relish it. And last but not least to appreciate myself, rather than compare myself to others and find myself lacking. 

2013 A very happy year to all.

Thank you to Linda at Teacher Dance who suggested this poem, I am linking it here so I can access it easily.

7 comments:

  1. Of the one-word posts I've seen today, I like this one the best! This is how I try to live life - it easily makes me a very happy person. May it stay with you long after 2013 is over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy
      Thank you I am grateful for your taking the time to comment and I hope that indeed that a) I'll remember to live it this year and b) live it on into the future.

      Yes I agree if I can appreciate, it is going to increase my happiness. I must remember to track this and reflect on it come end of 2013.
      Ksthryn

      Delete
  2. Hi Kathryn-what a thoughtful post about your OLW. I read a poem recently that you might enjoy, from the Daily Writer's Almanac: http://www.elabs7.com/functions/message_view.html?mid=1657016&mlid=499&siteid=20130&uid=3764bbaae9 Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda
      Thank you, on my ipad I am unable to pick up this link, but tomorrow when have laptop, I will access it. :)

      Delete
  3. Katherine - what a great way to start off the year! I wish you the best and look forward to 2013's possibilities. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Katherine. Good to see you still travelling well :)

    Appreciation is a good word ... One to live by.

    All the best for 2013.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathryn, this is exactly the word I chose for myself in 2012 and will keep for 2013 and maybe many more years to come. Appreciation for the little daily blessings, the great people around us and not least ourselves is key to leading a more content, calmer life...and so difficult to achieve!
    Effie Kyrikakis

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...