Taken from a painting of Kapiti Island at Sunset.
by Sonia Savage.

Monday, January 21, 2013

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?


It is Monday and again I am joining in the meme over at Mentor Texts.
Hop on over and join in over at the Mentor Text Blog. Just click on the picture 
                                                 
Little Brother
Cory Doctorow
Harper Collins 2008.
Science Fiction: cyberpunk.

This book was recommended by one of my students.  On reading it I thought it was a book for someone older than a 13 year old. However I think said student would have followed it, understood it, at least as well as myself!

I checked it out from our local library.  I noticed on the inside cover that it had been presented to the library by Amnesty International NZ in 2008.

This is the story of Marcus who finds he is caught up in a terrorist attack, in the wrong place at the wrong time.  He is taken prisoner and subjected to torture.  When he is finally released he finds the USA is paranoid and the Homeland Security have taken over.  It's a police state and every movement is monitored.  He has been told to never tell anyone about how he was treated while imprisoned or he will be dealt with.

Marcus is one of those small people who stand up and do something.  He is cyber literate, and is able to organise a fight back.  As a character I loved him.

I didn't understand all the cyber stuff, but just enough to be able to follow the story.  It was a gripping story, one I had to read slowly to follow, but well worth it.  A book to make one think.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Jeff Kinney
Puffin 2007


I am probably the only one that hadn't read this!  However last year I bought the most recent one for the class, I thought it might hook in some reluctant readers.

I was surprised when some of my top readers fell on it with glee.  They had read all the previous ones.  They assured me a reader should start at the beginning, so I went back and bought the first four.  I'm hoping they will be book bait!
This was a quick and fun read, I can see why they are appealing and I chuckled my way through it.

This coming week I am reading The 10 pm Question by Kate de Goldi, a New Zealand author. It's been out awhile but I read about it somewhere and as I have sampled her writing with some other book I don't even remember, apart from the fact I liked it, I bought this book with some Christmas gift vouchers from a student.


9 comments:

  1. My daughter is a huge fan of Jeff Kinney and she has all of the Wimpy Kid titles - I, myself, have not read it as yet. So you're not the only one! :) Little Brother also looks very interesting. Have a great reading week ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oo... Cyberpunk! Sometimes I wish my students were older. There is SOOOO much great stuff out there for kids who are able to start handling some more mature content, and so much less for kids still in elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been meaning to read Little Brother for ages! I am intrigued by the idea of cyberpunk. I was totally creeped out by Michael Grant's BZRK, which is all about nanotechnology. Scary stuff. http://wp.me/zUn5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must look up Michael Grant, one of my students has read a lot of his books and says she holds him in high regard. So he is on my list, I might look out for the BZRK one.

      Delete
  4. Jeff Kinney is truly a gifted author to be able reach so many ages of children. My 4th graders love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed another teacher reader who didn't like Wimpy Kid. I think if it hooks readers, well and good. And what is wrong with a laugh and an enjoyment of The Wimpy Kid.
      I agree, Jeff Kinney is gifted. We all have our role in the universe.

      Delete
  5. Diary of a Wimpy Kid is another class favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Little Brother, but see what you mean about the age thing. For those who like that kind of book, I imagine they can make their way through it. And, I too haven't read any of the Wimpy Kid books. Guess I should take a look! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Linda I loved it. I won't be suggesting my students, but if they do its now good because I can discuss it with them. However not sure of the readers this coming year.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...