Taken from a painting of Kapiti Island at Sunset.
by Sonia Savage.

Monday, May 7, 2012

Monday Again! What are you Reading?


Monday has come around again and I am joining in the meme over at Mentor Texts.
Hop on over and join in at the Mentor Text Blog.




This last week I read:  Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli.   This book certainly had points of difference and explored the idea of being yourself versus fitting in with the crowd.  When you decide to fit into the crowd there is a cost, and when you decide not to fit into the crowd there is a cost also.  I believe this book would make my students think and explore their own lives - as indeed it made me do.  Sign of a good book!  I liked it enough to want to search out the sequel to this book.

What am I reading this week?  The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan, the first book in the Kane Chronicles.

I have just started to listen to Insurgent by Virginia Roth. This will take me a few weeks to listen through as I only listen while out walking mainly.  Roth doesn't do any recapping of the previous book, Divergent,  and I found myself a little hazy on the characters, so I read a blog post she had written helping her readers refresh their minds on the story - so now I think  I am good to go!

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are enjoying Stargirl. I could not get into that story. I've heard so many positive comments about it, I might have to give it another try again this summer.

    Enjoy The Red Pyramid, I love that series.

    Stacey
    http://librarygals.blogspot.com/
    @libraryjo92

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished Insurgent last night. I don't think I'd have the patience to listen to that one! It got too exciting....
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Stargirl when I read it as a teenager. Really made an impact on me. I'm kind of scared to reread it even though I don't remember it well because it might not be as powerful now that I'm older and more jaded.

    Really enjoyed The Red Pyramid too. I'm also hazy on Divergent. I read Roth's post which was super helpful but I'm wondering if I will still be a little mixed up when I start Insurgent. I guess I will just have to start it and see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used Stargirl as a read aloud for middle school students. It starts loads of good conversation. I just received Divergent, so will try to get into that this week. Lots of talk about both these books, some good & some not so much. Interesting to see that some think it's just a copycat of The Hunger Games. I guess I will see. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I loved Stargirl...it's led to some amazing discussions in my classes over the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to read Stargirl for a while, but it's almost always checked out of my classroom!

    I listened to Divergent (after reading it), but I don't think I would be able to wait! I devoured it this weekend. Now I have to wait until next year for #3!

    My wordpress account isn't letting me log in :(
    fountainreflections.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list of books- I loved Stargirl so much. I definitely need to book talk it again so that it can get in more reader's hands. Enjoy The Red Pyramid- I really enjoy that series and it was great to learn about the Egyptian deities. And I cannot wait for Insurgent- I will find time in my reading schedule to get to it eventually!

    Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...