Taken from a painting of Kapiti Island at Sunset.
by Sonia Savage.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Yard Duty.

Of all the aspects of teaching the one I dislike the most is yard duty. Just when I'm looking forward to a break from interacting non stop with 30 children and I'm wanting a break, it's yard duty time. Teachers envy those out in other jobs who can take a leisurely lunch break all on their ownsome.

Generally its pretty much a non event. However last week I had this interesting by play with a 5 year old. I saw him throw some very heavy punches into the solar plexus of another 5 year old. So I went over and told him I was removing him for some timeout. On the way to timeout he informed me that he hated me! That moved me not, this little individual had no personal relationship with me. Our first time meeting.

I sat him out, outside the office and said I would be back in 5 minutes and I would release him then. As promised I returned, I asked him to stand, so that I could speak to him. "Whatever", was the reply. Somewhat taken aback I went down on one knee and met him on his territory. "We don't speak to teachers at this school like that! And we don't punch people either". He looks up and says, "So this school isn't a boxing school?"

"It most definitely isn't" And I sent him back out to play. I wandered away bemused. A five year old with an eleven/twelve year attitude. I thought to myself I think I need to dig out some old "The Nanny" shows to brush up on technique. Its obviously getting harder if the 5 year olds are anything to go by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...